Victoria's Victory

Victoria's Victory

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

2013 Fall Clinic and fun times

Pumpkin Festival two days in a row.  We had to make sure she was there for the costume 'contest'. No one wearing a costume got a trophy. It was worded poorly. But Victoria still had lots of fun. Lots of people commented on Dorthy and even Toto as we walked by.

The week before clinic Victoria had her dental check-up.  No cavities and 2 new molars.  The dentist said she was ahead of schedule with 2 of her 6 year molars already in. The others aren't far behind.
But with the dentist moving they had a new paint job too.  She really should have worn her 'Dorthy' outfit. She would have fit right in.



 After the dentist it was right to a park to play. Since she had a fluoride treatment and couldn't eat or drink for 30 minutes.

 After lunch - at McDonald's.  Still my favorite with a large dining area and bathroom with kid size potty inside the playground area.  Too bad this is likely the last visit to this dentist.  That McDonald's is just too far away for a casual lunch.


 On the way to try and surprise Victoria's Daddy, she had to go potty.  So we stopped at Target. I know where the bathrooms are and, they're generally clean. But no visit to Target would be complete without trying to sit on the giant red dots near the entrance.  This time she did it.  She was so very proud of herself.

We just barely managed to catch him as he left work!

 At clinic, she weighed a whopping 21 KG (46.2 lbs) and stayed at 113 cm (44.5 in). Her oxygen levels were perfect at 100%.  They did have to take her BP twice to get one that didn't set off the alarms for being too high. First was 122/65 second time was 117/65. Just realized that happens a lot. Perhaps I should ask the doctor about it.  With all the eating she's been doing I wasn't surprised at the weight, but I was a little surprised that she didn't grow any taller.  Though the doctor's conversion on my exit paper said she shrank from Summer Clinic visit. ;)  Just 1 day after finishing antibiotics every single day for 6 weeks. She had a wet cough and yellow snot.  The day after that she was all backed-up and probably had a partial obstruction and a fever the next day.  So we stayed home from church.


  On the left was her private room. She wanted to walk through the wall to the next room


The doctor said she had lots of snot high up her nose.  So with her other symptoms it's back on augmentin she goes. After two weeks I'll call back for more instructions on what's next. The doctor wrote the script so that she could have long-term antibiotics. I have enough in the house right now for about 3 months. After we clear up this latest infection we're going to try a maintenance dose of antibiotics to combat the pneumococcus that he said she had cultured. But I wasn't clear if this was from the first time she cultured it or from the last visit.  All the paperwork I have for her says her cultures are normal and no change is needed.   But it's not a typical bacteria that they track for people with cystic fibrosis. I need to call the nurse to get clarification on when she's cultured it and if she cultured it last week or not. Either way she's taking augmentin 875-125 twice a day for now.  Long term antibiotics do no sit well with us.  And the doctor agrees it's not an easy decision. But for now we'll likely try it for this next quarter and see how she does.


 We had the best room - a corner room.  Lots of windows.  She had lots of fun checking out each and every one.  Our Summer Clinic visit was windowless so we were quite happy to have windows this time.



 It entertained her quite a bit to spend so much time setting up the chess board she packed.  We played a little bit of a game. I took too many pieces too fast for her so she started cheating. But that didn't stop her from being entertained with playing with the pieces. 




No one would play with her. But everyone commented. Her doctor said that he never learned the game.  I think she was willing to teach him.

 Despite looking like she's running down AFTER her PFTs.  Nope that's before!  I got some really good hugs while she clung to me avoiding her PFTs.  But the RT was really good with her. And she blew a 102 on her FEV1.  Up from the 94% over the summer that the doc just chalked up to a learning curve.  He said her small airways were 95%  Nice clear strong lungs!

The social worker dropped in to say Hi.  Asked Victoria if she liked blue or green.  Victoria said she liked BOTH!  So back came the social worker with 2 coin purses.  She says she's going to put her trash in the Oscar one and her cookies in the Cookie Monster one.  I might try to steal the Oscar one.  It's awesome!


 I looked at this bologna and thought about buying it. Because it's BACON! I can't possibly be bad, right? Everything is better with bacon!









I'm so pleased she's no longer afraid of the rock wall climbing element on the playground.  The fist pumping she did when she got to the top was awesome! She had to do it all over again right away! x3








On our latest family adventure we hiked around feeding the animals. Victoria was excited at any animal who at the food she gave him.  The pig liked peanuts and so did the bears.  I think the pheasants were my favorite.  Hubby liked the goats & sheep best.  I think Victoria liked any animal that gobbled up the offered food.


No comments:

Post a Comment