| When things were still fun |
After being out & about on Thursday, we made our way back to the car. Victoria had been complaining of being 'scratchy' for the last 5 minutes in the store while we waited to leave. Which usually means her throat feels scratchy and she'd like some water. When she was getting in the car seat I had my hands on her chest when she coughed and I could feel it rattle. I thought she was having an issue with too much mucous and was about to cough it up and out. Instead she coughs and vomits. We spend the next 10 minutes or so while she empties her stomach in the parking lot. By the end she's drained and obviously pitiful. She finally listens when I tell her she can't have any more water since she's just throwing it up again. We got out of the parking lot and made it to the traffic light before she starts making sounds. Of course we're in the far left lane with other cars all around. She's projectile vomiting before the light turns green. So we spend more time on the side of the road near a busy intersection while she vomits some more. I clean us up as best I can with our ever present canister of Wet Ones. Yet the car, Victoria, and I all stink to high heaven. She falls asleep almost as soon as we're moving again. I worry if she's still breathing. We make it almost all the way to my nephew's house before she starts vomiting again. So then we spent time in the bathroom at my nephew's house. She refuses to let me change her clothes. I clean us up as much as I'm able. As I carry her downstairs she waits until we're in the kitchen before vomiting yet again. We spend more time at the kitchen sink. After getting in the car again, she makes the whole drive home without vomiting.
Getting her cleaned up & everything out of the car was another adventure. I could tell just how pitiful she was because she was just sit listlessly wherever I put her down waiting for me to pick her up again. It was hear wrenching. She wouldn't let me check her temperature so I was happy she had that much fight in her. But she didn't feel overly warm. Around 10pm she finally managed to keep a whole ounce of water down and then another. When we got to 3 ounces I made her rest. Eventually she was well enough for milk and a snack.
Over the next couple of days she was very particular about food and would cry after a bite or two of one of her favorites - chips. She's now fully recovered except for her desire to swallow her food after only chewing it the barest minimum. So we're back to cheering for chewing like we did when she was a baby. She didn't want to chew then either. She didn't really start chewing well until she was about 18 months old.
She's had issues like this before. I think it primarily comes from being backed up. But usually the vomiting comes at night in her crib. *sigh*
No comments:
Post a Comment